Thursday, May 19, 2011

My Introduction to You

Hello Families and Children of the CDLL!
My name is Samantha Corey and I am a student teacher in Pod A. This is my second semester with Pod A; I was an assistant for the same pod during the spring semester. I am excited to be back for the summer semester and I will be in the classroom all day, every day! This is my final class of my undergrad career, so I will be graduating in August. After I graduate I plan on working as a lead teacher. Eventually I would love to be an administrator of my own preschool.
I grew up in the town of Rockford, which is about twenty minutes north of Grand Rapids. It is only an hour away from Mt. Pleasant, so I am a regular visitor at my parent’s home. Besides my mom and dad, I have one older brother. I also have a cat who just turned 16 years old in human years (that’s 80 years old in cat years)!
                One of my favorite things to do in my spare time is to read. I enjoy arts and crafts and playing outside as well. I also like to play the piano. I used to play the piano when I was in fourth grade and I played until the seventh grade. For some reason, I just stopped playing. Over the years, I really started to miss playing the piano. I recently have gotten a new piano and now I play every day.
                I have wanted to be a teacher since I finished Kindergarten. It was actually because of Kindergarten that I wanted to become a teacher. My teacher was not the best. She would always send us to the principal’s office, she would threaten to hold us back, and she would always find a reason to keep us in from recess. One example I can give you is all about dirt cake. One day, our teacher brought in some dirt cake for us to eat. As a young child who wasn’t able to think abstractly yet, I thought it was real dirt. I was horrified that our teacher wanted us to eat dirt. Because of that, I refused to eat some. So she decided to hold me in from recess all day unless I ate some. Needless to say, I stayed in all day bawling my eyes out.
                Because of my experiences in Kindergarten, I realized that I wanted to teach and be the opposite of the teacher that I had. I want children to have choices. I want children to experience the world around them. I want children to feel safe and comfortable around me. Lastly, I want to help children learn and I want to learn from them as well.
                I look forward to this semester and learning more about your children each and every day! I also look forward to talking to each of you and getting to know the whole family better as well. Make sure to check out the blog so you can be updated with pictures and stories of what the children are doing in both pods during the school day.

Fondly,
Samantha “Ms.” Corey
               

1 comment:

  1. Love the new format and the comments from the student teachers are always great!
    -Tamara (mom of Sydney)

    ReplyDelete