Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Little Bit About Me


My name is Ericca Peters and I will be one of the lead teachers in Pod B. I am a senior at CMU and grew up in both Mt. Pleasant and Coleman. I am the older of two siblings; I have two younger bothers Matthew, who is 13, and Phillip who is 11. I graduated from Coleman High School in May of 2008 and began attending Central the fall of 2008. I have always been interested in working with children, but began my concentration in early childhood my sophomore year at CMU when taking a human growth and development lifespan class.

As the philosopher John Locke once said, children’s minds are like a “tabula rasa,” or a blank slate. I believe that children are explorers of their environment and learn from discovering new things on a daily basis. This discovery process is all part of childhood, which I feel to be a very important part in a child’s life. What children learn when they are young, they will take with them for future experiences whether it is in the social or the academic world. Children are competent of completing many tasks at a young age; as long as we give them ample amount of time and patience to complete the task and discover. I feel that we need to give children the opportunities to try many different things, otherwise how do we really know what they can do?

While working with children I still learn everyday. Children may come up with an alternative way of completing a task that we as adults have never thought of. Throughout this learning process I hope to learn from you, the parents, as well. I hope that we are able to collaborate with one another to bring important experiences and materials to the children’s curriculum. If at anytime during school you would like to share ideas, experiences, ask or talk about your child, or talk about anything school related I invite you to talk with me while you are in the school. As a student teacher I will be blogging on our blog site and encourage you to read our blog and also comment on posts if you wish.

 Aside from my interests in early childhood, I have other hobbies. In my spare time I enjoy traveling as much as I can. Aside from the U.S. I have visited Mexico, Jamaica, Italy, Germany, and Canada. I also enjoy listening to music and visiting with friends. In the future I hope to work with young children with the career that I choose, as I am undecided on exactly what my career will be once I graduate in December 2011. As a child, my favorite books were Sesame Street books. I also enjoyed swimming and playing outside. Once again I look forward to learning more about you and your children and also look forward to learning together throughout the rest of this school year. 


Sincerely, 
Ericca Peters

No comments:

Post a Comment