Thursday, May 19, 2011

Introduction to CDLL Families


Hello Families of the CDLL!

My name is Kyra Ziehmer and I am really excited to spend the next five weeks working with your children at the CDLL! Last semester I spent half a day once a week with the children in Pod A, and now I have been assigned to Pod B for the summer. It has been great getting to know a group of new students, and still being able to interact with the group of children I got to know last semester.

I am originally from Auburn, Michigan, but attended Midland Public Schools. However, I have been living in Mount Pleasant full time since the fall of 2009. I have one brother who is fifteen months younger than me who was attending CMU as well. We are very close and have stuck by each other even after being through some pretty rough circumstances. He and I are pretty opposite personality wise, but there is no mistaking that we are brother and sister when you look at us.

I have had many experiences working and volunteering with young children, including: three years of Big Brothers Big Sisters in high school, volunteering at church daycare, Head Start, and CAFÉ, as well as babysitting for a variety of people.  As far as choosing my major, I have always had an interest working with young children; but I wasn’t decided on the career path I wanted to take with it until the end of my junior year at Central when I signed my major in Child Development. After I am done with this student teaching experience I have one more summer class to take, and then I’ll be graduating in August.

After graduation I plan on looking for a job using my degree, and I am currently  most interested in staying in the preschool line of work. I would like to go back to school part time at some point in the next few years, and am considering getting my Master’s Degree in Social Work. There is also a possibility I will be moving to Nevada at the beginning of August, so I have a very busy, exciting, and nerve-wracking summer ahead! :)

With this student teaching experience I am most looking forward to being able to spend all day every day with these children, in hopes to form real relationships with each of them as well as the families. I am eager to learn everything I can from this experience! I enjoy being at the CDLL and feel like this is a great way to help prepare me for future jobs in a preschool. It is the first week in and I am constantly learning new things and am really glad I got the chance to meet and get to know some of you, and cannot wait to continue to learn more from you and your children.

I encourage all of you to check out the blog to get to learn a little bit more about what we are working on with the children throughout the day, and also to get your input. I am really interested in getting to know as much as I can, and look forward to working with all of you!

Sincerely,
Kyra Ziehmer


No comments:

Post a Comment